For a better experience on Utopia Realty, update your browser.


If you were to buy property in England, you would have a Chartered Building Survey completed. On the other hand, if you lived in the United States you would have a full home inspection done by a licensed home inspector. There are companies that provide both services in the Cayman Islands and it is highly recommended that you have one done by a seasoned professional when purchasing a home. In fact, it should be a condition of your purchase. This section will provide information about these two distinct services. A building condition survey will include an inspection by a civil or structural engineer who will examine the roof, insulation, flooring and the condition of the walls of your home, as well as other structural areas. They will also check whether your appliances are up to code and will recommend whether an MEP (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing) report needs to be done by a professional technician.

A home inspection conducted by a licensed home inspector will include a full examination which will consist of structural components such as foundations, floors, walls, ceilings, hurricane straps and roof. They will also check all interior components – doors, windows and all appliances, testing the safety and functionality of all items. A licensed home inspector is also qualified to inspect the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems of the home. An inspection report is to be provided, noting all findings, and actions for remediation. A similar approach should be taken when seeking to purchase a plot of land; while it may look like the lot is filled properly, it may be overlying soft peat or have other ground conditions which would require you to pile your future property at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars. Therefore a sight investigation is a must. A simple trial pit or more complex borehole test and accompanying report will reveal the build-up of the underlying ground conditions. This technical data can then be utilised by your structural engineer when designing and calculating the foundation structure that is necessary to support your home. In fact, almost all builders will require this report before commencing construction on a canal-front property in Grand Cayman.